Monday, February 18, 2013

GENERAL DOUGLAS MACARTHUR'S PRAYER FOR HIS SON



This is probably the most powerful readings I have ever read.
I read this when i was in my last year in Senior High School on my school's Bulletin Board. And at that time, i was mesmerized by the power of these words. And i felt such an empowering spirit inside of me.
Honestly, this has been my favorite for years. i keep on writing it on any book i have.


Build me a son, O Lord,
who will be strong enough to know when he is weak, brave enough to face himself when he is afraid,
Build me a son,
whose wishes will not take the place of deeds...Lead him, I pray, not in the path of ease and comfort,but under the stress and spur of difficulties and challenges. Let him learn to stand in the storm;let him learn compassion for those who fall.
Build me a son,
whose heart is clear, whose goals will be high, a son who will master himself before he seeks to master others; who will reach into the future, yet never forget the past.
And after all these things are his, add, I pray,
enough of a sense of humor so that he may always be serious yet never take himeself too seriously...
Then, I, his father will dare to whisper,"I have not lived in vain."


Powerful sentiments! This father is passing this prayer along to his sons, and making a commitment to pray the prayer everyday. God willing, such a commitment will not only make a difference in my life, but in the lives of those they are privileged to touch!

1 comment: